Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Dire Wolf Collects His Due While The Boys Sing Round The Fire


Some say there are 3 kinds of people...Pigs, Sheep, and Wolves.

Pigs are the wealthy, the powerful, the corporations, the politicians. Sheep are the unwashed masses, the hoi polloi, the commoners. Wolves are those independent opportunists who know how to survive in the jungle.


Long ago, I think I was somewhat wolfish. Then we moved to New Zealand. Here, we have a small share of Pigs and as you probably know, most people are sheep and happy to be part of a very large and safe herd. Of course, there are wolves, but not too many and their teeth are not very sharp. In New Zealand I have become much more sheepish.


So, we came back to the US and A for a visit and one of the first guys I run into is an old student, Preston Toulon. He was a real good kid when I had him in grade 6. Now he is taller but still a real good kid. His parents, Sean and Kathy, are salt of the earth. Preston is now 16 and since his dad is the VP of Taylor Made Golf, the lad is quite the golfer with excellent clubs.
I might add that the Taylor Made Golf organization is the finest in the world.



As he was getting brand new equipment, he amazingly generously gave me his clubs and a bag and balls so we could play the next day. I put everything in the trunk of my cheap as rental car and happily drove away. I counted sheep that night I dreamed of these beautiful new clubs.

About this rental car...it was an economy, with no frills. You know I am no tall poppy with the cars. The locks for the door were manual, not electronic so there was a bit of a learning curve in the security department.

I am guessing when I locked up for the night, I may have somehow missed one of the doors.

Mea Culpa.

That was all it took. The wolves got in and popped the trunk and when I came out in the morning, new sticks and bag were nowhere to be seen. I slammed the trunk and then opened it to look again. I thought David Blaine or Chris Angel may have been punking me.

But no, the goods were gone forever.

I take full blame for forgetting I was back in the jungle, even though it was in the high rent district of Carlsbad, California.


Trust no one.

Be ever vigilant.

Baaaaaa!

5 Comments:

At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that so sucks! and you are parked right out in the open too. CA is beautiful but full of nasty individuals that will take what is yours happily. sadly, we turn on our home alarm - remember those??? - whenever we leave the house just in case. after such a perfect time with all of us together that just totally sucks! wish the rotten guys that took the clubs would read this but i doubt they are capable of reading! love robin

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in the jungle on that very day your clubs were taken because you didn't spend an extra 8 bucks for an upgraded rental; doctors at Scripps Hospital saved the lives of fourteen people. Sorry about your clubs.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never before in the human experience has any man embraced his inner sheep in a more, well ... sheepish fashion. Well done.

Now go get that scraggly arse white beard to the sheering shed.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger channelsurferdude said...

I didn't know you played golf...

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ouch!
on the other hand, i assume that one of the main reasons for the trip back would have been that grand-gorgeous-girl you got stowed away over there. i have no doubt that a good chloe-fix outweighed the robbery-nasty!
love you guys. fxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home