Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Ton Of Fun Who Packs A Gun With All Her Other Freight


Kimberly and I have been living over here for about 3 years. During that time, we have flown back to the US and A about 6 times to visit friends and family.
Being away in a different environment slowly changes your point of view.

For example, whenever we land at the LA Airport, we immediately notice things. Firstly, everybody is connected on all sorts of cell phones, computers, blueberries...all talking to somebody. I always wonder what is so damned important that the whole country has to be constantly communicating with each other? Here in Nelson, Kimberly and I have completely avoided a cell phone and have found the quiet privacy to be a pleasure.

Then...there are a tremendous amount of really fat people out there and nobody seems to notice it. Obese humans are so common in the USA that it seems not to be an issue. When I was a kid, there was actually a job being the Fat Lady in the circus. Everyone at the airport or malls is way bigger than the old pro.

When we watch TV in America, many many ads are for pharmaceutical drugs, one after the other. They don't have those at all here. Anyway, one thing I brought over here were my Lipitor pills for high cholesterol. In fact, my doc here switched me to a different one called Lipex.



Now, as you know, Kimberly is a nurse who used to sell products for Abbott labs. She made very good money, but did not really like thee work due to travel woes. Lately she has been studying up on medications and has come to the conclusion that there is a lot of sham involved. She believes that diet and exercise is the answer to good health for most people. A lot of us take meds because the USA is a culture of drugstore cowboys who do whatever the TV tells us.

If you are a loyal reader, you recall my sinus problems which were cured by homeopathy after all the docs and meds had their turn up my nose.

Ok. To make a long story short, we are now off all non-natural pills and remedies. Think about it yourselves. Often the drugs have side effects that are worse than the original disease.

The worst I could do is be wrong in which case I will quickly die of a heart attack. This will make Rick somewhat relieved knowing I went before him.

7 Comments:

At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? Diet and exercise improves one's health.
My god, this might be the most absurd claim news since that young English chap suggested man evolved from apes.

Well I have one word for radicals like you: Bolderdash!!"

 
At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? Diet and exercise improves one's health.
My god, this might be the most absurd claim news since that young English chap suggested man evolved from apes.

Well I have one word for radicals like you: Bolderdash!!"

 
At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doctor Mike;

I hope you can settle an argument. See, a friend of mine, let's call him Old Kiwi, has smoked marijuana every day for the past 40 years. My wife says OK is heading for a bad case of lung cancer and a cough-filled death inside an old folks homes. I say OK will simply drop dead from a heart attack while kayaking. Which of us is right?

Regards,
Curious in Colorado.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Kiwi:

Imagine a man who, as a teenager, hurt his back diving into a pool. He then spent the next 20 years eaing massive bowls of spaghetti and doing very little exercise. From age 28 through the present
( age 62) he self medicated freely. On a daily basis

Is he now prepared to give health advise?

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doctor Mike,

I've got a close relative, we'll call him, Coffee Kart. He spent the majority of his life avoiding both work and exercise. What's more, he feasted on cake and bagels for years. Recently, he discovered the joy of healthy eating and exercise. Now he feels compelled to tell others how to live a 'healthy lifestyle.' My question is this: is Coffee Kart arrogant or just a pompous ass?

Regards,

Desperate in Denver

 
At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been a bit since I was able to venture onto the blog - please forgive my working with the dogs lately but OH MY, The little voice in Denver certainly has something to say! I must agree that OK will have a VERY difficult time doing what the NK has in mind and Kimberly has another and continuing uphill battle "of the bulge" shall we say with NK :) love robin

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger butterflies said...

I notice the same things when I go to the States..hugely fat ppl (I think thats from all the buffet places they have).
And the drug companies push meds on TV..I always think Im glad we dont have that here.
One doc over there insisted I take something..maybe prozac or something similar,as I was sad cos my husband was dying.He told me to come back 6 wks later.Oh he says to me..see they DO work.I had never taken them and normal sadness had run its course.
America is not the land of the free.Ppl there are all hooked on something..
Im happier when I live in the good old Waikato:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home