Monday, March 05, 2007

It doesn't Matter What You Wear, Just As Long As You Are There

When Kimberly and I still lived in California, my brothers and we would gather around the time of the Winter Solstice to discuss the events of the year. It was always a fun and funny meeting. Quite a few years ago, we arrived at the conclusion that everybody has 3 different sets of clothes.
They were given very simple names: First Ways, Second Ways, and Third Ways.








Your First Ways are those that you have to wear to go to work. The suit and tie, the dress and proper shoes, socks, stockings. Kimberly's 1st ways are Yoga gear.







The Second Ways are those that you wear when not working. These are your choice. You wear these to the movies, shopping, walking the dog, going to parties. Second Ways are more casual and could include all sorts of sportswear for those athletes out there.
I know Dan Duffey can't wait to get out of those salesman clothes and put on a baseball shirt and cleats.













But best of all are the Third Ways. Those are what you wear when you are home for the day or night and ain't going anywhere. And nobody is coming for a visit. Third Ways are the loose, baggy sweats and t-shirt. The warm socks or slippers.

It's a Sunday afternoon, it's raining, there's a great movie on the DVD player, you've got all your snacks and wines or whatever...that's the perfect time for the Third Ways.










You all know what I am talking about. Here is a guy who long ago understood that the 3rd way was the best way.




Here is Richard Nixon and Fidel Castro. These guys never figured this out and always wore the same thing
So if you're not Castro or the Dalai Lama, you most likely look foreword to slipping into your comfy clothes at the end of the day. OK, I realize that in some Asian countries, pajamas are considered 1st ways and if you are really depressed, you go around all day in sweats with the hood up, but we're talking "normal" first world country behavior.


My problem is that I no longer have use for first way clothes. Until we go to a wedding or a Halloween party, I will not wear a suit. When I get up, I slip into my 3rd ways and only maybe put on shoes to check the mail


Does that put me in the same league with Hef?

4 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wish! Danny is wearing his baseball uni at this very minute playing and pitching away. Big smile on his little face. I now can get away with boot-leg jeans and a nice top to show real estate now that I am back in AZ. And, believe me, in the summer I am out in shorts/short skirts sweating up a storm showing homes too. My comfy clothes have been for the last 10+ years are Danny's sweat pants and a sweatshirt for winter wear and again, shorts/tee shirt come the hotter than hell months. I am sure your Kiwi neighbors appreciate your 3rd way clothes not being the Hef robe. Thanks for the blog, need it, live for it, jones for it. love - robin

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger ChannelSurferDude said...

I am totally naked while I read this. Film at 11:00...

Wild Bill

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger ChannelSurferDude said...

Hey I just read that New Zealand is home to 4 million people and more than 40 million sheep. How was your weekend?

Wild Bill

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy the 3rd ways but this was a learning experience. I used to be totally naked while at home, but the furniture suffered serious stains. Now older and somewhat slower, underhousing is a must.
Thank you for your enlightening blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home